Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Headband to Match any Outfit

I just finished making my niece a dress. I thought it needed something extra. I was going to make her a Beret to wear with it. Then I started rethinking it. A headband to match would be perfect! So that's what I did.

The first thing to do is make a template, one for the actual headband and one for whatever decoration you want to add. I choose to make a simple fabric flower. Very easy to make and, in my opinion, so pretty! I made cardboard templates for each. For the flower, I just traced the bottom of a drinking glass on my cardboard and cut it out. I used "Paint Shop Pro" on my PC to create an elongated oval for the actual band part. Then I just traced it onto cardboard and cut it out.

I cut 2 pieces for the band and 6 pieces in a contrasting color, for the flower. These fabrics just happened to be left over from making my nieces dress.

For each circle of the flower, I pressed them in half and then in quarters. Do this to all six and set aside while you make the band.

Turning right sides together, I pin around the edges, leaving an opening about 2 inches long. Using 1/4" elastic, I measured it and I inserted it inside, pinning each end at the ends of the band. I left some sticking out the ends.

Except for my 2 inch opening, I sewed it all the way around with a 3/8 inch margin. I also back stitched over the the elastic, to reinforce it. Then, i turned it right side out, straightened the seams and pressed it flat. I sewed a zig zag stitch all around the edge, closing it completely. Now, it's ready for some decoration!

I make sure all my 'Petal" pieces are laid out with the folded ends facing the same way.

Then, I use a needle and thread to do a simple basting stitch across the unfinished ends on all 6 petals, stringing them all on the same piece of thread.

Then, I just pull both ends of the thread tight and tie a few knots to keep it secure.

I decide where I want it on my headband and sew it in place. I also choose a button to cover the center. I decide on a sparkly green heart!

Viola'! It's a finished headband with a pretty flower!

I like it! I might have to start making one for every outfit that I make!

The side view!

Funny thing, my 12 year old niece and I have the same head measurement. Does that mean I have a 'Peewee Herman Head' or she has an 'Oprah Winfrey Head'? Haha

To see the outfit that inspired this headband, click HERE!

-July 23, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment